Below is a checklist of some of the key things you should think about before travelling to Cape Town.
- Ensure that you have accepted your academic offer from UCT.
- Ensure that you are carrying your UCT letter of acceptance.
- Carry proof of payment of your fees and see that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself in Cape Town.
- Ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your study in SA. You will need it to open a bank account in South Africa and, in addition, it is the recognised form of identification for international students.
- Apply for a study visa at your nearest South African Embassy/Consulate and, once it is issued, ensure that the visa is valid for studies at UCT.
- Arrange your accommodation in Cape Town.
- Arrange your transport from the bus station or the airport.
- Carry some cash for immediate use for trains, taxi, etc. It is possible to change money at exchange bureaus at the Cape Town International Airport and some exchange centres in Cape Town, and for this you will need to have your passport handy.
- Inform the UCT Student Housing Department of your arrival date and time if you will be staying in a UCT residence.
- Pack a good mix of winter and summer clothes. Weather changes by the minute in Cape Town!
- Pack bed-linen and towels and other items that you will need
- Pack some cultural garments. Some university functions ask that you portray your own culture and people.