- Always avoid walking in dark and deserted areas.
- Avoid parking your car in isolated areas.
- Avoid carrying large sums of cash, carrying cameras or videos cameras in plain sight and leaving belongings unattended.
- Do not allow strangers to assist you in any way at ATM's
- At night, park in a secure, well-lit are.
- Your life is more valuable than your possessions.
- Keep photocopies of all valuable documents in a safe place.
- You might be approached by Street children and Beggars for handouts. Many social workers counsel against giving money to the children as it usually gets handed over to an older person or it is used to purchase drugs. If you wish to do good rather give food, donate your change to a registered charity, or contact SHAWCO
- SHAWCO who is affiliated to UCT, their mission "To improve the quality of life of individuals in developing communities within the Cape metropolitan area".
To report any safety incident, call the following numbers:
- All emergencies from your cell - 112
- All emergencies from a landline - 107
- South African Police Services (SAPS) - 10111
- UCT students and staff emergencies - 021 650 2222/3
Access the following link for important/emergency contact numbers, such as:
Airports, Airlines, Cell phone providers, Directory inquiries, Emergency numbers, Hospitals, Tourism bureaus, Embassies and consulates, Useful City of Cape Town numbers.