International affiliates are usually postgraduate students or researchers who do not take UCT courses, but wish to be affiliated to UCT while pursuing their own research towards studies at their own university. These visitors must first make contact with a specific department to obtain an assurance of the necessary resources to accommodate them in the host department.
Once this assurance has been gained, admissions and fees are administered by IAPO. Affiliate status generally entitles visitors to a physical space in a department, library use and limited access to academic advice as negotiated with each department. A visitor's visa is sufficient for entry into the country. Please be sure to ascertain exactly what your host department can and is willing to offer you. Note that a host department may not offer you employment.
An affiliate may not take part in any taught classes. This includes auditing classes. You will therefore not be registered for UCT courses. As an affiliate you may, however, be invited to attend departmental staff seminars at the discretion of the host department.
Persons seeking to be an affiliate must send a request to the head of the academic department with which they wish to be affiliated, asking them if they are prepared to host them in their department.
- Ask if the department has the desire, resources and space to welcome you.
- If accepted, ask the head of department to write you an email or letter of invitation.
- Ensure that the length of your affiliation, the facilities available to you and the fee payable, as agreed upon by you and the department, are clearly stated in this letter of invitation. Refer to the 2015 Fees Handbook for the standard affiliate fees.
- Download UCT Application Form 7 and complete it. Please note that no accommodation is arranged for international affiliates. Forms are also available through IAPO and the Admissions office.
- Send the completed application form together with a copy of your letter of acceptance from the department to IAPO. If we do not receive a letter of invitation we will not process your application.
- The form will be processed by IAPO through Central Admissions and the faculty concerned.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive an invoice/fee account detailing the cost fee of your affiliation. Please note that this fee is payable before registration.
- As international affiliates do not attend courses, they must enter the country on visitor's visas.
- IAPO will, upon receipt of the completed forms above, issue a letter addressed to the visa-issuing authorities in your country, so that you may apply for a visitor's visa. Please make sure that the visa is endorsed for research at UCT.
- Payment should then be made to the UCT Bank Account.
- On arrival at UCT the international affiliate must check in at the IAPO to activate the registration process.
There are no application deadlines for this category of visitor. However, please note that the university vacation takes place from mid-December to mid-February, and there is also a six-week break from mid-June to the end of July.
Also be aware that a visa can take up to 2 months to obtain.
Need to contact a UCT Department? Click here.
A certificate of attendance will be available on request. All enquiries, admissions and fees are administered by IAPO.